Back from Zanzibar



Here are two things to know about traveling to Zanzibar:

(i) DONT GET BIT BY A NAIROBI EYE

As Frank Sinatra said: 'Some times you run into a streak of baaaaad luck.' I was bitten by a spitting Nairobi eye, which caused an infected quarter inch fissure to develop behind my right ear. The infection reached a gland on the right side of my neck, causing the whole area to balloon to the point where my jaw line has disappeared. I'm on exactly 6 different drugs to fight these infections: (i) Ramarix-anti-fungal (ii) paracetimol- awesome painkiller (iii) Ketrozol- anti-biotic (iv) doxycycline- another anti-biotic (v) hydrocloric acid- that I mix with 4 parts water and then pour into the open wound behind my head (vi) hydrocortisone cream. Needless to say, I spent the first half of my vacation sleeping, getting up to look at the stunningly blue Indian Ocean, and going back to sleep.


(ii) LEARN HOW TO MAKE PILAU

Zanzibar is known from its spices, and they make an unbelievably delicious pilau, a rice based dish. Here is a recipe. You should all make some. If not, you can order it at Zanzibar!


All in all, it was a much needed relaxing week, and one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home