These Bantu Jews



The synagouge on Nabugoye Hill. Home to the Abayudaya Jews of eastern Uganda

The Days of Awe are made more awesome in this hill country, away from the lights of the city, where these solemn and humble folk practice faith in its truest form, wrapped in fear and awe, unencumbered by generations of doubt that has consumed us in the West. Strangely, as I gaze at the towering mountain overlooking this pastoral synagogue, I hear the prayer of my faith no different than if I never left home.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Wow - that is so cool. I had no idea there were Bantu Jews.

    By Blogger Field Notes, at 7:01 PM  

  • As a South African Jew I want to congratulate you on your terrific blog and the picture taken in the shul during Days of Awe.
    The Israeli vice-consul in Houston is an Ethiopean Jewess, whose family was airlifted to Israel when she was a young girl. She is very devout and devoted to her country, Israel. I have met her and been impressed.
    Please feel free to contact me.
    My blog is http://carlsbadtaylor.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home